Monday 20 January 2014

From Script to Screen : Researching Harlequin

I am trying to name some of my characters and instead of giving them any random name I thought I would research behind the term 'Harlequin'. I chose this because there is not any dialogue in my script and the term is defined as 'a mute character in traditional pantomime, typically masked and dressed in a diamond-patterned costume'. Relating to a clown in the dress code also I thought it could be a good starting point to look into and uncover its beginnings and country of origin.
So I took the search further and looked into Herlequin and I came across a demon horseman captioned 'La Mesnie Herlequin Ame'rique'. It was a logo for the demon horsemen and I thought perhaps this could prop up somewhere subliminally in the story? Perhaps like on a flag/item or just a passing character. 
Finally the term hints at a Italian heritage with the introduction made in the 1580's with the signature checkered costume so perhaps a checkered theme can be constant throughout the piece? Also my names can be derived from a mix of post and pre-modern names for my characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment